Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A New Futanari Palace

Futanari Courtier

Default A New Futanari Palace

Hello, Futanari Palace. It's me, Echoen. It's time we had a talk about Futanari Palace and our plans for a new website.

---------

First, a history of Futanari Palace

Futanari Palace was created in 2005 by the beloved Shenandoah, who poured her time, sweat, tens of thousands of dollars, and buckets of Futanari spooge into this vBulletin web forum. With the help of talented technical staff and a diligent Japanese coder named Nar, Futanari Palace was built on vBulletin using PHP (Hypertext Preproccessor).

In 2012, Shenandoah stepped down and nearly deleted Futanari Palace due to the money sink that it had become for her, even with the incredible donations from many of the most dedicated users. I volunteered to take it over and in early 2013, I transitioned Futanari Palace into a community-funded model, funded through Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/FutanariPalace). Nar also stepped down, to focus on attaining his PhD.

However, this means that the last time FP's code base had a major update was in 2012. Unfortunately, because FP was built off PHP with a ton of custom scripts, it is known as "PHP Spaghetti Code" and FP's remaining technical staff has been unable to adjust, modify, or fix any of the code without completely breaking the site.

In 2017, I brought on several new technical team members to help stabilize Futanari Palace and work on updating FP and fixing issues as they arose. In these three years, FP's PHP codebase has proven even more unstable and not conducive to restoration or repair. We did manage to migrate the forum and website to a new and much more stable database, though that was an expensive process with increased fees that donations were less and less able to cover. For the past year, I have been paying out of my own pocket to ensure FP is able to continue to serve the 1000-1500 daily users that use this webforum.

---------

The time has come to officially build a new website/webforum. One that will not randomly break and shut down. One that will provide new tools and new features to the amazing content creators and Futanari enthusiasts that have been here for years and decades. One that will prevent outages like the one we experienced a few days ago and will make it far easier to create new ways for the community to create and share the Futanari content that you're all here for.

Building a new website is expensive, time-consuming, and a lot of hard work. We need the support of the community to make this happen and ensure the good content here on Futanari Palace does not get lost. This is where you come in.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:
    1) Donate to https://www.patreon.com/FutanariPalace
    2) Save to your personal computer any stories, pictures, animations, or roleplaying threads that you would want to see on the new site.
    3) If you have coding experience, web design skills, or digital project management knowledge that will help us make good decisions for a new site, and you want to volunteer, let the admin team know.
    4) Talk to fellow Futanari Palace users. You are this website. You are this community. Your kindness, your passion, your proud pursuit of Futanari content and lifestyles, makes this place more than any PHP spaghetti code ever could.

and finally

5) Prepare yourself for positive change. When we create a new website (or figure out how to update/migrate the forum), the Futanari Palace of the past 15 years will change and we will all need each other to work through the differences.

---------

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, to all of you wonderful community members.

Hopeful for the future,

Echoen

Tranny Sorcerer

Noble

Default Re: A New Futanari Palace

It might behoove the mod/admin team to put a big notice up on the front page. I saw a link just above the Patreon headline, but it would be easily missed by a casual observer.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoen View Post
    WHAT YOU CAN DO:
    1) Donate to https://www.patreon.com/FutanariPalace
    2) Save to your personal computer any stories, pictures, animations, or roleplaying threads that you would want to see on the new site.

---------
    Does that mean we will have to re-upload all our old stories?

The Inner Circle

Probably, but then we can shift or how we put them up might be different. So probably good idea to have them saved somewhere for future notice. And alright, keep us updated.

No sir, I don't like it.

Captain

More likely than not, the answer is "yes." For now, it would be best to back up anything you wish to keep or share on the new forum.

Careful, I burn easy.

Futanari Courtier

I guess I'm going to have to scrub through the story section and save every story I liked so its not lost to me forever.
    An ETA for when the sections are going to be scrubbed clean/new site implemented should definitely be provided. There is a lot of content on this site from people who haven't posted in a long time, so if the stories are reliant on them(authors that have moved on specifically) to be reposted on the new site its just not going to happen.

Yes, please, some kind of very prominent announcement in big friendly letters saying when the current forum is being scuttled so everyone is fully aware of how much time there is to save things is an absolute must. This is huge news, and now I'm trying to figure out what I need to copy/paste from the story forum, knowing that a lot of stuff is going to completely disappear forever.

My bookmark page here is my Settings page since that's where I can immediately see what of my bookmarked threads have been updated. I easily could miss any kind of forum-post-based announcement, so like all things in the futa world, bigger is better!
    Last edited by Housewares; 24th August 2020 at 14:17.

Palace Champion

Hi, current SM4 dev here. I do have backups of a number of the slavemaker sub-forum threads in pdf form, but they dont contain the Attachment images.
    Is there any logic to the attachmentid of those or are they just incrementing numerals?
    Im Asking to see if there is a better solution than to query a download from 1 to 1e7

Edit: Most posts from the SlaveMaker sub forum have been backed up.
    Last edited by mllhild; 26th August 2020 at 10:05. Reason: Status Update
    BE in the Forest Continuation version 1.0 [stable] included in the SM 3.5 release.
    for beta versions go to New Event: BE in the Forest
    the Milking Barn (SM3.4 mod) version 0.1 [WIP] (go to post)
    works but it is truly just a bunch of code and no text

My primary question is... How much CAN be backed up by the site admins themselves? I think it's entirely worth recommending that people backup their favorites so they don't get lost, absolutely, and frankly people should do that even when they don't have a reason to, given what we've seen in the past. But what exactly are the risks involved in this site migration? Do you guys intend to rely on user-created backups, or other means of selective back up creation, or do you intend to backup EVERYTHING?

Exactly what form should our user-created backups take? In the case of forum threads where multiple individual posts are valuable, how should we preserve them? Is it sufficient just to copy the text of each thread into a document and save that, or are there preferred ways to create backups? If there is to be a concerted effort, I cannot emphasize how useful I think a guide would be in getting the manpower together. People might not bother trying if they don't know exactly HOW to help.

edit: While I'm here, I'd also like to express my gratitude to the site admins. The fact that this site has been running so long is an incredible testament to your dedication and loyalty to this community. I'm sorry to hear about the costs, it's pretty unfortunate that you don't have any sources of revenue coming from this site.
    Last edited by hardwolfpeace; 25th August 2020 at 01:40.

Hey, seems like I joined these forums at a pivotal time!

I take it you admins are not sure about migrating the database again and adapting it to whatever new system you're going to be using. I don't blame you, that'd be a buttload and a half of work to do at once.

Maybe you might do a raw database dump in text format (like SQL) and raw attachment dump or something like that - an "admin archive" - (though not publicly accessible in that form) so that things that don't get saved by users in time won't be totally lost.

Then perhaps that archive could be combed through over a very long period of time, and the raw data of the threads could be recovered and given to users upon request to reformat and repost on the new site. One could, for example, make a poll with an admin saying, "All right, I am recovering [x number] missing threads from the admin archive this month. Nominate threads to be recovered and vote for them in this poll." and it would be a community effort to reformat and repost them.

That being said, even if that is done, the best way of saving things would be for users to save stories and attachments in time if the user wanted to make sure they were readily available.

Anyway, just a suggestion!
    "weebasaur" they call me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast