Thread: Blu-ray/DVD combo BS

Futanari Courtier
    is senpai on the street, baka in
    the sheets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blu-ray/DVD combo BS

Anyone know why (besides money I'm sure) this BD/DVD stuff is EVERYWHERE, I don't have a BD player nor will I buy one, but some companies insist on selling them together, and jacking the prices up, wanted to get Tales of Vesperia The First Strike, but it's $30 for JUST a movie, would be cheaper I bet if it was either the BD or DVD, same with Spice and Wolf and some others, so what gives, anyone know why they do this bundle besides jacking prices up I assume.

Really though, who the hell goes outta their way to draw some morbidly obese grizzly bear man fucking a 10/10 girl in hentai??
    I really enjoy a good RP, love to chat and very open minded, don't be shy to PM me!
    My Fanfic.net account: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2478527/

Palace Guard
    is pm me your cock ;3

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Blu-ray/DVD combo BS

Quote Originally Posted by GhostInTheMachine View Post
    Anyone know why (besides money I'm sure) this BD/DVD stuff is EVERYWHERE, I don't have a BD player nor will I buy one, but some companies insist on selling them together, and jacking the prices up, wanted to get Tales of Vesperia The First Strike, but it's $30 for JUST a movie, would be cheaper I bet if it was either the BD or DVD, same with Spice and Wolf and some others, so what gives, anyone know why they do this bundle besides jacking prices up I assume.
    I don't know why and my only guess is for those who want to get a bluray player down the road.

$30 still isn't bad, however I'm sure Funi will release them in those cheap dvd box sets that are generally under 30 or 20 dollars.

Niku.

Supplicant
    is celebrated across Planet
    Earth.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, $30 USD seems about average. That is, in comparison to the anime titles released in Japan that offer two twenty or so minute episodes per Blu-ray for about $70 USD, I feel $30 USD is quite a fair price for a feature-length movie.

The current price(s) for Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike on Amazon Japan currently stand at around $72 USD for the Blu-ray and $55 for the DVD, respectively. Getting both a Blu-ray and a DVD for $30 USD with (I assume) English subtitles seems almost criminal when you think about what the Japanese are paying. That is, if this is in respect to the Funimation release that seems to be planned for June 26th, 2012 in America.

I agree that forcing someone to buy a set combining both a Blu-ray and a DVD seems foolish for those that don't own a Blu-ray player, but it is perhaps simply more cost effective for them to do this. I personally find the sets that combine a Blu-ray, DVD and also a "Digital Download" version to be the most ridiculous. I have no clue why you would need three copies of the same movie, other than to perhaps share them with friends or family members. I hear that the "Digital Download" versions also have to be played using a specific media player that must be installed in order to view. It's all rather silly.

I would like to say I sympathize with your plight, but I'm rather used to Western anime releases being pricey. I remember when I wanted to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion years ago, and I ended up paying about $125 USD for the entire series in a DVD box-set. That being said, I recall a Japanese friend of mine once told me that they imported ADV's release of Azumanga Daioh in a DVD box-set because it was ridiculously expensive in Japan, and yet dirt cheap for the American release.

Takes all sorts, I suppose.

Palace Guard
    is pm me your cock ;3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashiwazaki Sena View Post
    To be honest, $30 USD seems about average. That is, in comparison to the anime titles released in Japan that offer two twenty or so minute episodes per Blu-ray for about $70 USD, I feel $30 USD is quite a fair price for a feature-length movie.

The current price(s) for Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike on Amazon Japan currently stand at around $72 USD for the Blu-ray and $55 for the DVD, respectively. Getting both a Blu-ray and a DVD for $30 USD with (I assume) English subtitles seems almost criminal when you think about what the Japanese are paying. That is, if this is in respect to the Funimation release that seems to be planned for June 26th, 2012 in America.

I agree that forcing someone to buy a set combining both a Blu-ray and a DVD seems foolish for those that don't own a Blu-ray player, but it is perhaps simply more cost effective for them to do this. I personally find the sets that combine a Blu-ray, DVD and also a "Digital Download" version to be the most ridiculous. I have no clue why you would need three copies of the same movie, other than to perhaps share them with friends or family members. I hear that the "Digital Download" versions also have to be played using a specific media player that must be installed in order to view. It's all rather silly.

I would like to say I sympathize with your plight, but I'm rather used to Western anime releases being pricey. I remember when I wanted to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion years ago, and I ended up paying about $125 USD for the entire series in a DVD box-set. That being said, I recall a Japanese friend of mine once told me that they imported ADV's release of Azumanga Daioh in a DVD box-set because it was ridiculously expensive in Japan, and yet dirt cheap for the American release.

Takes all sorts, I suppose.
    Japan's anime market is really out dated, it's one of the reasons why Bandai is shutting down it's distribution of titles to the U.S. because they didn't want to change their methods.

I too was around when VHS tapes were about $30 for a dub version and even more for the subtitled version and they would only have 3 episodes. The same with the bloom of DVD's I bought those single disc releases of Evangelion, Gundam, Patlabor, Macross, Vampire Princess Miyu. they were all about $68 or sometimes even close to 80 dollars each.

Believe it or not, but there's an actually a pretty good number of anime fans from Japan buying the U.S. versions of show because it's lot cheaper just as you stated about your friend and I think there was even an article about how they actually enjoyed watching them in the English dub.

I have no idea where people get off saying that anime in the states is uber expensive, it's actually very affordable and most cases pretty cheap too. If they're able to buy games, I'm sure they're able to buy anime. Unless they don't have a job or something.

Tales of Vesperia, does indeed come with dual audio along with subtitles. I don't think any anime in today's age come as English audio only anymore. It even has it listed on the products description on amazon.

I sort of like the digital download idea, some times when I'm at work or just laying in bed and want to watch something while trying to sleep, it's pretty cool to just go into your cloud or whatever and watch it from your phone.

A friend of mine bought The Thing and I have one of those TV adapters for phones, it was pretty cool to just watch it like that on a whim.
    Last edited by Karas; 24th May 2012 at 00:51.

Palace Champion
    Post Thanks / Like

I find $30 per anime fairly normal,most of my old relics(VHS/DVD) all about that price range,and many of the series I own started $150 ~$300+ but over the past year Amazon has had some great deals on dvd or Blu-ray most of the series I now own on Blu-ray started @$20 a steal if ya ask me.I wouldn't look down at the dvd/blu combo packs though,it's a way to help you future proof you're collection.