Thread: What character set should I learn?

Lurker

Post Thanks / Like

Default What character set should I learn?

I don't know if this is entirely Futa related, but it's futa inspired. I am currently attempting to learn Japanese, and I am learning it so I can read the doujins, my question is would I be ok with just learning hiragana, or am I going to have to somehow obtain a source to learn the kanji aswell?

RasendOrc, a concerned fan.

Commander
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What character set should I learn?

If you don't learn hiragana, katakana, and kanji, you'll always be missing something.

I don't feel entitled
    Captain
    is mostly absent

Post Thanks / Like

simple answer you need all of them
    HERE BE DWAGONS

Fabrication & Transport

Futanari Courtier
    Post Thanks / Like

let's put it this way: hiragana and katakana are the same character set, but written differently.

Hiragana: almost always used in books
    Katakana: generally used on book titles, but not the book itself
    Kanji: are pretty common, and you should know them, but some books have hiragana 'subtitles' that make it nice and easy for beginners.

in short, you need to memorize the hiragana, have a chart for katakana if you don't want to memorize them, and buy a kanji dictionary. try to learn the kanji, but they're not exactly simple so.... you might just end up reading 3 lines and looking a character up.

best of luck,
    ~empress motoko-chan the 3rd
    The moon shall ride high as she hovers above, streaming pure energy down to those of us that can receive her bountiful power. Dance with me my sisters, naked with our skin glowing in the pale blue light...

5. Thanks RasendOrc thanked for this post

Lurker

Post Thanks / Like

Oh bloody hell. Thanks anyways, in my opinion it would be so much simpler to syllabalize the words instead of that, not all Japanese people know all the kanji, but it's their country and language so I'll stop whining.

Lurker

Post Thanks / Like

So I've done the first lesson in this program I'm using again and again, and I'm starting to recognize familiar kanji quickly (there's an option to display kanji/furigana, kanji, hiragana/katakana, or romaji) and I've had it set on kanji/furigana, and it seems hiragana has to occasionally mix in kanji to convey meaning, which makes learning both a little easier.